I’ll admit it – this year, I cringed when I saw the marshmallow eggs, the generic jelly beans, and the colored fake grass start to creep on the store shelves. Not that I don’t love a good Cadbury Egg once a year, but the thought of buying all that sugar, bringing it home, and then letting it get spread all over the house in a pile of messy grass and empty wrappers DID NOT fill me with joy.
I know I sound like a bit of an Easter Scrooge, but I’m sure I’m not alone. My quest was prompted in part by conversations I’ve had with other moms who are likeminded. After all, I think there has to be something else that I can fill their basket with besides calories. My mission this year is to reduce the basket calorie count and replace some of it with a little more fun and adventure.
With adventure in mind, here are my top picks for mom approved, kid-friendly, reduced-calorie Easter Basket Gifts.
Survival Themed Easter Basket – A survival themed basket is easy to put together and is ideal for the outdoor-oriented kid. Items to include are:
- Survival Watch
- Survival Guide – the Essential Survival Skills Book is one of our favorites.
- The Rock Christian Survival Bracelet
- Bear Grylls To My Sons Book – This humorously illustrated book is a collection of spiritual and practical wisdom from Bear to his sons.
- Camping Set with Flashlight, Compass & Knife – Make sure this is age appropriate for your child.
The Ultimate Readers Adventure Themed Easter Basket – If you have an avid reader in your house like I do, then this Easter Basket will keep them happy for a long time!
- The Dangerous Book for Boys – A best seller and my family’s all time favorite!
- The Kingdom Series by Chuck Black
- The Sugar Creek Gang Series
- Boyhood and Beyond: Practical Wisdom for Becoming a Man
- Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel Book & CD – A classic, a favorite, and a best seller for generations of younger children!
- The Action Bible
The Hands-On Child’s Dream Basket – When you have a “take-it-apart, see-how-it-works” kid in the house, you need productive and interesting projects to keep them occupied. Add one or more of these items to their basket and they’ll be thrilled!
- Motors and Generators Hands-On Kit
- Q-BA Maze Big Box – Build it over and over and over and never build the same thing twice!
- A Beginner’s Whittling or Carving Set
- A Treasure Chest Wood Building Kit
- Big Bag of Science
- The Armor of God Duct Tape Project Book
A themed adventure basket is a great idea to inspire your kids and keep the easter afternoon sugar coma at bay.