Mission Objective: Race through the course with the fastest time.
Mission Intel: Hey Army Kids! Mission #2 is a perfect way to add some excitement to your day and keep your military skills finely honed. Round up your friends, put on your favorite army uniform, and have FUN!
Building your own “Boot Camp” obstacle course for kids can be very easy. You can use many of the things you have at home. First, gather your materials, and then separate them into stations throughout the yard. Pick a starting point and a finish line, and you’re all set!
Step #1 – Build your custom obstacle course for kids.
Here’s some of the “stations” you can include in your special “Boot Camp” obstacle course for kids:
1. Jungle War-fare Rope Challenge – Hang a thick rope from a sturdy tree branch. Place a kiddie pool underneath the rope. There are two ways you can approach this challenge. A) Try to swing over the pool without getting wet or falling off. B) For a tougher challenge, tie a flag around the branch near the top of the rope. Jump onto the rope and climb the rope to the top to touch the flag – without falling in the pool!
2. Four Star Ladder Drill – Place a tall ladder flat on the ground. The objective is to run across the ladder as quickly as you can while placing your feet on the ground in the space between each rung. This duplicates the tire run that is included in the Army’s training courses, and it improves every soldier’s coordination and speed.
3. The Landmine Field – Fill several buckets or pails with water. Place them a couple of feet apart in a staggered pattern. The objective is to weave in and out of them as you run through the course WITHOUT knocking any of them over. This simulates running through a minefield – one misstep and you’ll suffer the consequences!
4. Tunnel Rat Challenge – Gather together as many large boxes as you can. Fold the tops and bottoms of each box down into themselves so the sides of the boxes are sturdy and strong, and the tops and bottoms are open. This will create your tunnel. (You can often get large boxes from appliance stores, department stores, or recycling facilities.) Then connect them end-to-end to create a tunnel. For even MORE fun arrange each box a foot or two apart. This extends your overall tunnel challenge length and gives you the opportunity to add corners and turns. To be creative, paint camouflage on the outside of the boxes.
5. Water Gun Sniper Training – Blow up three to seven balloons and, using differing lengths of string, suspend them from a clothesline or a tree branch. These will become your targets. Fill one or more water guns with water, and lay them on the ground 5 to 10 feet from the targets. When you reach this station, pick up a gun, and hit as many targets as possible before you run out of ammo.
6. Over-Under Infantry Run – Position several sawhorses or picnic benches a few feet apart. As you run through this section of the course, you need to hop over the first one, go under the second, hop over the third, and so on.
Step #2 – Time each person’s run through the course.
The fastest person through the course is the winner! For extra fun reward each finisher with an authentic Military Medal.
This mission is fun for the whole family, and can turn an ordinary summer day into a day to remember. Build this course for family gatherings, birthday parties, and backyard bar-b-ques. An obstacle course such as this is also a wonderful way to get your kids exercising. Homeschool families find obstacle courses to be an excellent addition to their curriculum. Besides, who ever said gym class has to take place in a gym?
If you really want to make this fun, JM Cremps carries some great army gear for kids that will really make this challenge complete. This Cadet Watch will ensure accurate timing of the run through the obstacle course. It’s nylon band, camouflage color, and luminescent hands are durable, reliable, and really fun! For a real authentic experience, wear the same thing every Boot Camp Trainee has to wear. The Armed Forces Boot Camp T-Shirt and Camouflage Military Cargo Shorts will really make you feel like you’re in bootcamp!